Are you in an Ag District? Do you need a Soil Group Worksheet?

 We can help! The cost is $30 parcel and you can order online HERE  (check-out with credit card payment)

The agricultural assessment program allows eligible farmland owners to receive real property assessments based on the value of their land for agricultural production rather than on its development value.  Any assessed value which exceeds the equalized agricultural assessment on the land may qualify for a reduced tax assessment. Contact information for local assessors can be found here.


Landowners must apply to their local town assessor for an agricultural assessment. Further Information on Agricultural Districts can be found here.

To qualify for an agricultural assessment, you must meet one of the following criteria:

Do you Qualify?
  • Own at least seven acres of land which produces a minimum of $10,000 annually, or own less than seven acres of land which produces a minimum of $50,000 annually, on average, in the preceding two years from the sale of crops, livestock, or livestock products.
  • Have a start-up farm operation in the first year of operation on owned or rented land that meets the minimum acreage and sales thresholds.
  • Own rented land if the land independently satisfies the minimum acreage and sales requirements (see above) or is being used pursuant to a lease agreement of five or more years in conjunction with land which independently qualifies (in other words, if the operation leasing the land meets the acreage and sales requirements).
    If you think you qualify for an agricultural assessment, the first step is to contact your assessor who will determine if you qualify and are in need of a Soil Group Worksheet. The Soil Group Worksheets are available here at the Wayne County Soil and Water Conservation District.

For more detailed information on Ag Value Assessments, please click here to visit the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance for an overview of the rules or contact your local assessor for more detailed information on qualifying for the agricultural assessments.

Soil Group Worksheets?

Ready to start?

The cost for a soil group worksheet is $30 per parcel.  Follow this link to order online.  Before you start, make sure you have your tax bill available to completely fill out the form. You will also need an estimate of the wooded area and number of buildings.

If you need to look up your tax bill you can do so on this site.

We work with the county and town offices to accomplish these individual soil assessments through GIS mapping and the USDA’s Wayne County Soil Survey.

If you need to look up your tax bill you can do so on this Wayne County website. (opens new window)

Do you still have more questions?   Click Here for Answers to Frequently asked Questions  

NOTE: Owners who convert lands benefiting from an agricultural assessment to non-farm use are liable for conversion payments based on the amount of taxes saved.  Owners contemplating a conversion may determine the payment owed by contacting their local assessor or by contacting the Wayne County Real Property Tax Services : here or calling 315-946-5916.

Remember: Applications for Agricultural Assessments are due March 1st each year, so please plan accordingly. 

You have to apply for the Agricultural Assessment each year.  However, you do not need a Soil Group Worksheet made every year.  You will need a Soil Group Worksheet made if:

  • This is the first time you are applying for the Agricultural Assessment
  • The owner of the parcel changes
  • The dimensions of the parcel changes
  • The amount of land used for agricultural production changes
  • The Assessor requests one

Please contact us 315-946-7200 at Wayne County Soil and Water Conservation District if you have any questions.

Meet the Soil Group Workgroup Team

Additional Resources:

Scroll Up